We normally perform a scheduled IPL once per quarter at our main site.  We
use our command scripting product to control the shutdown and restart, so
it's all automated.  But the test partitions are probably IPLed once per
hour:)  Some of our customers though schedule IPL's every week, which we do
not suggest as a good practice.  If things are set up correctly, there is
little need to IPL very often, but I try not to interfere if the client has
a good reason, or "think" they have a good reason.  Although some appear to
do it just because they always have.