Tuesday's IBM announcements provided much rhetoric and some information about
the new CICS Explorer facility, e.g., > CICS is a leader in transaction
processing and, in conjunction
> with z/OS and DB2®, delivers levels of performance,
> availability, and security that are hard to match. To prepare for > the
> future, IBM intends to make significant contributions to the > CICS offerings
> that will help to reduce the skills barriers to the > development of CICS
> applications and the management of CICS > systems.However one judges the
> merits of this proposal one can only admire the felicity of the euphemism
> "skills barriers".

There are two polar ways to cope with these skills barriers.  The obvious,
traditional one is to provide apprenticeships and/or intensive training that
convert qualified unskilled people into skilled ones.   The other is to attempt
to embody the necessary skills in a program, a wizard or the like, that
notionally makes it possible to dispense with imparting these skills to people
who will do a particular job, thus---this is apparently judged highly
desirable---dumbing down the requirements of that job.This is not the first
such IBM initiative, and I know of none that has been successful.  Devoting
resources to making traditional professional-training opportunities available
would be much more effective, and it would bode better for the future of CICS.

The appeal of schemes for permitting unskilled (and thus perhaps but not
usually cheaper in the aggregate) people to do what only the skilled can do now
is obvious, but this appeal is not enough: all sorts of appealing notions are
and will remain infeasible. John GilmoreAshland, MA 01721-1817USA
http://revealyourinnerathlete.windowslive.com?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WLYIA_whichathlete_us