Anton Britz wrote:
Hi,

Just to get all these "Wandering minds" on to something more productive :

How do you think IBM keeps their financial results so "rosy" ?

All the other vendors have annouced "buy backs" ex. Dell/Sun etc but IBM still announced fantastic results.

Something smells fishy some where..

Anton

Maybe it what their business, or businesses, is.

IBM sells a wide variety of servers, tape systems, disk/dasd/SAN systems, software. In addition to that they do outsourcing, managed services, and consulting services.

Sun has almost as wide variety of hardware as IBM, but I don't think they have nearly as wide of variety of software and other services.

Dell is basically desktop, laptop, and servers. They have some other products but they are a minor player in those products and I don't think they account for a lot of sales. I mean when you go to buy a TV, do you think Dell? For the most part they sell PC's. I would say that a lot of their customers are home and small business customers. When the economy either seems or is having problems, those are the customers that stop buying first.

I think the wider variety of products/services you offer the better off you can survive varying economic conditions.

Think about it. If you have a store that sells 2 different things, a store that sells 5 different things, and a store that sells 20 different things. Which one will most likely do good the majority of the time?