On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:05:24 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>Ken Leidner wrote:
>> I have a tape dataset cataloged over 10 years ago with a very strange -
>> invalid name.  I am not sure how it was created, but I would like to
>> remove it from the catalog.  The tape has scratched years ago and I
>> found this odd dataset name and would like to remove it from the catalog
>> without having to zap the catalog to change its name first.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> I have tried;
>>
>> In TSO a DELETE 'P.FSPOL.SBHF38AA(0)' noscratch
>> IKJ56709I INVALID DATA SET NAME, 'P.FSPOL.SBHF38AA(0)'
>>
>> ISMF doesn't even find the dataset, even when looking for a prefix of
>> the dataset name (like 'P.FSPOL.SB*.**)
>>
>> Running IEFBR14 in batch gives
>> //STEP0    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>> //DD1  DD  DSN='P.FSPOL.SBHF38AA(0)',DISP=(OLD,UNCATLG)
>>
>> IEF212I CJ4130BT STEP0 DD1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND

It was discussed here within the past couple years that IBM has done
two or three about-faces on catalog syntax rules.

In the oldest implementation, such a name could never have been
catalogued.  At some relatively recent release, IBM relaxed the
constraints so practally any 44-character string could be catalogued,
although I suspect most application-level software would have
intervened to enforce the classic syntax rules -- a new-style
name might not be catalogable except by an assembler call to
catalog services.

Some customers found this newly-granted liberty psychologically
disturbing (Stockholm Syndrome?) and complained to the extent that
IBM provided an option to reinstate the classic syntax rules.  At
first, the default was lenient; in a later release the default was
changed to strict.

Your offending data set may have been catalogued (by an assembler
program) during the interval of freedom, or the catalog may have
been zapped.  So, you have at least two options: re-zap the
catalog, or temporarily set the option to lenient syntax (PARMLIB?
restart required?) and uncatalog the data set.  If you then choose
to reinstitute strict checking, you can only hope that during the
interim no other users have catalogued nonconforming data set
names or you will once again be in a similar situation.

IBM made a poor design choice in the manner of implementing the
strict checking option: the existence of an object should always
overrule the invalidity of its name -- if it's there, don't
quibble over grammar.  (I'm reminded of a Woody Allen movie in
which a teller disputes a bank robber over a misspelling in the
holdup note.)  At the very least, access to objects with
unconventional names should be allowed if only for the purpose
of deleting or renaming them.

-- gil