Thanks for the education.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron Hawkins
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 3:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Here we go again (was z/OS Hot Topics 19)

Chris,

Yes there can be many concurrent IO transfers occurring to and from
Cache. I
actually find high Q-depth numbers, and ALIAS for that matter, become
more
important for cache miss IO. Cache miss is magnitudes longer than a
cache
hit and will quickly starve the Volume of PAV, or the LCU of HyperPAV,
so
that concurrent IO transfer will stall and UCB queuing will occur. Low
cache
hits require more alias than high cache hit.

Disk drives can support processing a seek for read while concurrently
writing into the SCSI buffer - sorta like two IO at once but not all the
time.

TID is the Target ID, and is analogous to the Device Address. HBA is the
Host Bus Adapter and could be considered a channel.

The Queue referred to in Queue depth can also process IO out of order
based
on ordering schemes and priority. The default queue for disks was to
process
the IO in 1st to last track order, but nowadays disk drives use a
travelling
salesman technique (think DFSORT Blockset) to sort the queue and reduce
seeking. At one stage not all Array vendors enabled this queue
management on
the disk drives (I don't know about current models).

Ron