On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 08:32 -0500, Walt Farrell wrote:

> I think the basics are covered, Lindy, if you carefully read -all- of the
> MVS Programming Assembler Services Guide and the MVS Programming Authorized
> Assembler Services Guide.  And the Extended Addressability Gyide.  And a
> good reading of the Principles of Operation helps, too.
>
> And that's a good part of the answer to your question about how we learn to
> do this stuff.  It's true that a large part will come from studying others'
> code, and from spending years doing this kind of work.  But a lot of it
> comes from reading all the books, and experimenting, and reading some more.

Nope - you'd need to be Tolkien to decipher that lot if you were coming
in cold.
IBM have a *lot* to answer for when they went OCO. For people that never
had access to the fiche, or the PLMs - or the (internals) education
classes - large parts of this might as well be runes.

Doesn't inspire confidence in the quality of software that may be
forthcoming in future.
And we (customers) are supposed to unquestioningly agree to allow any
and all auth'd code from vendors. mmmmm ...

Shane ...
(this is not a beat up on Lindy - I have no issue with anybody trying to
learn. My beef is that she has so many impediments).