For some reason, "the powers that be" who are in charge of IBM manuals have
decided that the old System Data Set Definition manual is no longer needed.  I
found the following reference which explains that the LOGREC data set must
be unique to each z/OS system, from z/OS Diagnosis Tools and Service Aids:

-=-=-=-
14.2  Choosing the correct logrec recording medium

You can choose where the system will record logrec error records. When a
system is not in a sysplex, an installation can use a logrec data set,
associated with an individual system, to record error records. An installation
can choose to continue this type of recording by initializing the logrec data
set
before IPLing the system that will use it.

In a sysplex, however, because each system requires its own logrec data set,
you might need to look at each logrec data set when an error occurs.
-=-=-=-

You should give each z/OS system its own LOGREC data set, or, in a sysplex,
you can use a logstream.

If you don't want to use a logstream, there's a couple different ways to give
each system a unique LOGREC data set.

1) Code LOGREC=data.set.name.for.system.one in IEASYS00 for the first
system, LOGREC=data.set.name.for.system.two for the second system, etc.

2) Don't code LOGREC= at all, but in the master catalog for each system,
make sure that SYS1.LOGREC points to a unique data set on each system (by
volser).

Brian

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:29:15 -0500, John C. Wolf wrote:

>There used to be an IBM manual about placement of system daya sets in
MVS.