Pack of FOW123 followed by zap and unpack would do this without a data
exception. Only changes the zones C,D,E. Probably pic 999999 ==> pic
999999. Why not use If not numeric?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enterprise COBOL v3.4.1 run time issue

There is no "data error" possible with a PACK instruction. The
programmer must validate that his input is valid before doing a PACK.
Now, it is possible that the PACK instruction will create output which
is not a valid packed decimal number. But that will not be detected
until another decimal instruction tries to use it (such as ZAP, or AP,
or SP, or ...).

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential.
The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended
as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the
message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the
sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer
system. Thank you.