Do you have TN3270 running as a separate started task?
This is a require after release Z/OS 1.?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Chase
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:58 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: TN3270 Abend S0F8 RC04

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:31:32 -0500, John Chase wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:04:35 -0500, Chase, John wrote:
>
>>Hi, All,
>>
>>Running a "smoke test" of z/OS 1.9 on the Prod LPAR, and getting
>>intermittent S0F8-04 abends in TN3270.  No hits on IBMLink for this.
>>
>>"System Codes" manual says:
>>
>>"The issuer [of an SVC instruction] was in a mode other than task
>>control block (TCB) mode."
>>
>>Any ideas, while we open a PMR?
>
>Well, nobody replied, so it must be a new problem.  For our z/OS 1.9
rollout
>attempt yesterday, it was a show-stopper.  The effect on end-users is
that
>they are unable to connect to the system at all.
>
>Empirical evidence suggests that this situation affects only tn3270
clients
>assigned to an LU pool for which we don't specify a default LOGAPPL.
This is
>consistent with IBM's analysis so far of our dump from last week, in
which
>they have determined that the abending task was trying to send the
>USSMSG10 buffer to the connecting client.  Adding to the puzzle is the
fact
>that clients assigned to an LU pool that -does- have a default LOGAPPL
can,
>upon exit from that application, display the (same) USSMSG10 without
problem.

>I'll try to keep the list updated with progress from our PMR.

"Be sure to look under -ALL- of the rocks."  Amazing where you can
"lose"
stuff in z/OS.

While "grasping at straws", we started comparing the contents of
individual
libraries, parmlib members, etc., between the Production copies and the
source copies of our 1.9 "master" image, and discovered that we were
a back-level (HBB5520) copy of ASASYMBM into the MLPA on the Production
system only.  The "why" is lost in the dustbin of history, but when we
copied
the back-level ASASYMBM to the sandbox and IPLed it into the MLPA there,

we were able to reproduce the S0F8 abends in TN3270 at will.

The level of ASASYMBM that shipped with z/OS 1.9 is HBB7707.  In the
PMR,
IBM indicated that the relevant change introduced into ASASYMBM (at z/OS

1.2) was support for SRB and cross-memory mode processing.

Oh, the reason this problem never surfaced on z/OS 1.7 is that TELNET
(TN3270) didn't start invoking ASASYMBM until z/OS 1.8.

    -jc-