On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

> >Thanks to all for your thoughts.
> >And especially to David for doing a quick test for me.
>
> I honestly cannot believe that people are still 'optimising' CPU.

Why not? I really cannot believe that a person's attitude would be "who
cares?". If I can do something in multiple ways, then I just consider it
normal to want to do it as well as I can. Professional pride, I guess.
I'll admit, in this application, it won't make a tinder's damn. But I
still care. I don't want to be accused of being a bloated Windows
programmer! <grin>.

> Unless you call major chunks of CPU-intensive code, you are not going to
> find enough savings to buy a beer.

Diet coke for me, thanks! <grin>

> I/O, even with today's faster hardware, is where you should be
> concentrating. Especially, on non-Mainframes. - Too busy driving to stop
> for gas!

Agreed. I/O is far more of a bottle neck than CPU. Especially went I'm
mainly reading and writing.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: An EIN stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown