I find that the new manual software offerings confusing and unusable.

When I installed z/OS 1.7, I copied the softcopy CD to my hard drive.
Identified those manuals (PDF form) that I would use by subject matter.
Copied them to an appropriate folder that were named according to
subject matter.    When I copied the manual, I renamed it using the
actual title of the manual and not the cryptic 8-character IBM ID.

This took time to prepare and execute but it's a simple solution that
has served me well.