On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:28:24 -0400, Peter Relson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I don't disagree that it is desirable to have a "list" service for
>name/tokens. What I question is the need.
>Since a list service does not exist, it seems pretty clear to me that you
>should not take an approach that requires such a service.
>
>You are welcome of course to ask for such a service and, after/if it is
>made available, exploit it.

But with that logic it is very tough to justify an assembler (let
alone a high level language) or just about any utility ever created.
There is always another, lower level technique for doing anything
so there is no "need" for a better tool.

If people have written their own tools they must have felt some
need (even if it was just a need to experimment).   If they made it
available to others they must have felt that others also had the
need.

Reading between the lines I see you saying "Submit a Requirement
and justify it."  Maybe that requirement should come from users of
the tools that currently use the unsupported techniques.   They
would be the ones hurt when the unsupported techniques fail.

Pat O'Keefe