Lindy Mayfield wrote:
I understand that the first step in porting a new operating system to
MVS is to train the compiler to output MVS instructions.  But how would
one compile the changes to the compiler?

Well...
In fact writing any compiler is quite complex task. In such case we can talk about serious (complete?) re-writing of it. Of course it is possible to produce byte code intended for different platform. For example CP/M was created on MVS. I think it would be much more reasonable to port the source code, i.e. to change C code for OpenVMS to be "workable" after compiling it on MVS.

Say for example I wanted to port OpenVMS to VM.
In fact NO. You talked about porting applications, not the operating systems. Didn't you? Otherwise it is nonsense: you cannot port OpenVMS to MVS. You could try to port OpenVMS to mainframe.

BTW: I liked VMS. Good system.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.