From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kenneth E Tomiak
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:29 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: A STP question

I thought the CECs (pre-STP) would only get time from a Sysplex Timer or
special hardware device that knew how to dial NIST for the time. STP is
replacement for that, so if all 4 CECs play with STP then they need to
be able
to communicate with one another if only two of them are running the NTP
Client. I do not believe the CECs share time to update clocks through
other
connections. The operating systems running in LPARs use the coupling
facility
and Fibre connections, not the CECs themselves.

The fourth CEC does not have to be part of the 3 CEC STP environment, it

can have its own ethernet connectivity to the NTP Server and run its own

single CEC NTP Client. Don't all of your z9 and z10 support elements
have two
ethernet ports?

Are you by chance trying to get a non-STP capable CEC to do NTP? I've
heard
that question often since STP and the NTP Client were releases. The old
CECs
can only do what the old CECs could do. Several SHARE sessions from a
year
or two ago covered how to mix STP and Sysplex Timers while migrating
towards all STP capable CECs.