On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, esmie moo wrote:

> Good Morning Gentle Readers,
>
> I noticed (via ISMF) that one of our dasd is in DISABLED status under
INDEX STATUS.
> When in TSO option 3.4 I do a "V" I receive a "Free space error".  I
> attempted to perform the following
>
> BUILDIX DDNAME(D01) OSVTOC - I receive :
> ICK31529I ALLOCATE ERROR: RETURN CODE = 0148
> ICK31515I 61E5 BUILDIX COMMAND FAILED.
>
> I tried BUILDIX  DDNAME(VOLDD)  IX but I was not successful.  I received :
> ICK31529I ALLOCATE ERROR: RETURN CODE = 0148
> ICK31515I 61E5 BUILDIX COMMAND FAILED.
>
> Is there something else I can try short of reinitializing the pack, which is
> presently 75% full.
>
> Thanks

The 0148 is the DADSM allocate return code. From the manual, that means
that there are "overlapping extents". Or, basically, that the VTOC has
some corruption in because one or more tracks are allocated to more than
one dataset.

The safe thing to do is to use DFDSS to copy and recatalog all the
datasets to another pack, then reinitialize the pack. If you do this, you
should have somebody examine the data in the datasets copied because you
likely have a corrupted datasets somewhere.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown