On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:58:41 -0400, David Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
>Seems to me we'd be better off with a free development environment (FSVO
>"free").  We could use a gcc for z/OS, as well as a glibc.  That would
>have a snowball effect, and would make porting of applications to z/OS
>more palatable.
>
>> - [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BOINC) client for z/OS.
>
>Considering what we pay per z/OS MSU, that's an expensive search for ET.
>
>--
>David Andrews
>A. Duda and Sons, Inc.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wish that the entire GNU toolchain would be ported. It would be the
you-know-what out of what IBM supplies with z/OS. However, porting GCC would
likely never be done because that would compete with IBM's own C compiler.
Also, I get the definite impression that, at least for the z/OS system, IBM
does not really like the GPL. I think this because everything that I've seen
ported by them is BSD licensed, or some other license which allows them to
keep their modifications proprietary (closed source). "Just say NO! to OCO!"

I actually had the arrogance to think that I might be able to do so. I had a
sort-of sponsor in IBM who thought he could get me an ADCD license. However,
that died the instant that I said that Hercules/390 would be my platform. I
couldn't afford even the least expensive FlexES system.

--
John McKown