On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:12:14 +0200, Lindy Mayfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>And when reading about the marriage of the operating system to the z
>hardware, I wondered if this was somehow different from the Mac.  Anyone
>know if/how it is?

It is similar. Apple will only license Mac OSX on Apple hardware. There is a
company, being sued by Apple, which has developed a way to run OSX on a
"white box" Intel machine. This violates the license agreement that Apple
imposes when you buy OSX.

The main difference is that IBM "owns" both the hardware and software.
Whereas Apple is using Intel hardware with some auxiliary hardware and BIOS
changes.

--
John