On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:37:56 -0500, Ward, Mike S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello all, I tried searching the archives for VOLID starting with ##,
and volume id ##, but didn't get any hits. We have from time to time had
cataloged datasets that have the volid as ##???? Where the ## are really
##'s and the ? are some assortment of characters. This has been going on
for years and we can't seem to figure out where they come from. Do  any
of you have any idea's as to where we might look.

Thanks.

Hello Mike, I have run across this (or something similar) and the root cause
was that someone was trying to use FDRCOPY to copy a vsam file and add a
new high level qualifier.  The problem was that the new HLQ threw the
dataset name over the maximum number of characters (I think 44) and so the
volser appeared with the ##???? as you mentioned.
Perhaps you are experiencing something similar?

Regards,
Gil.