That VATLST00 you listed looks suspiciously like the one you get from IBM
with a driver system when you first installed MVS/OS/390/z/OS. I am willing to
bet that it was never customized after that initial install.

Jeff

>Hello,
>
>I would like to pass a situation by everyone to get their opinon of an issue I
am having. I have opened an issue with IBM but many heads are better than 1.

>We are getting some new dasd and after the dasd is installed I am to run an
ICKDSF REFORMAT with the REFVTOC parm against all the dasd, per the dasd
manufacturer.

>I tested this on a test machine against a few volumes and found that my
MVSCAT volume is mounted as STORAGE and the ICKDSF does not like this, it
wants it mounted PRIVATE. This is the only volume mounted as STORAGE. My
VATLST00 is as follows:

>VATDEF IPLUSE(PRIVATE),SYSUSE(PRIVATE)
>MVSCAT,1,0,3390    ,Y
>DLIB02,1,2,3390    ,Y
>DLIB03,1,2,3390    ,Y
>MVSDLB,1,2,3390    ,Y
>MVSRES,1,2,3390    ,Y
>TARG02,1,2,3390    ,Y
>TARG03,1,2,3390    ,Y
>
>I took over this system from someone else and do not know why this was set
up to be mounted STORAGE.

>It looks like I could shut down the system, ipl a stand alone ICKDSF and run
the REFORMAT but that seems like a last resort to me.

>The system master catalog does reside on MVSCAT as do other data sets.
>
>Is there a reason to have this mounted as STORAGE?
>
>Are there system datasets that are required to be on a volume mounted
STORAGE?

>Can I change this MVSCAT to be mounted as PRIVATE and re-ipl without
causing issues since it has been this way for a while?

>Is there a requirement to have at least one volume mounted as STORAGE in
VATLST00?