On 2008-09-22 at 17:40, Eric Bielefeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote to IBM-
Main:

> Is there a way to scratch expired datasets without DFHSM or some other
> storage manager?  We create SMS datasets in DB2 that have an expiration
> date automatically set.  When the datasets expire, we want to scratch
> them.

Eric:  in another message, you alluded to Innovation.  FDReport Punch
to IdcAms Delete?

We're an FDR shop and I :
- use DCOLLECT to unload the MgmtClas Expiry values,
- SAS to massage the data and create XSELECT MGMTCLAS.EQ.,{EXPDT.GT.
or ADAYS.GT.} statements,
- FDReport Punch either Delete NonVsam for IdcAms or Delete,DSN= for
FDRArch.

That way, I don't have to trust others to set RETPD= on individual
datasets.  Additionally, the expiry dates can be changed on the
MgmtClas and it's automatically active for all those datasets
regardless of their RETPD= values.

It's been working well since I first implemented it this summer.
Happy to share the process with anyone that wishes.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004