>but I just haven't seen where people decide
they should be bundled in a PDS except for source code, JCL, and such.

I come from an era where DASD was expensive, so I kept everything in
Partitioned Data Sets, for years.

This includes SYSOUT, SDSF log extracts, and even SCRIPT/DCF AFP output.

The LRECLs were (for the above), 133, 250, and 8055 (I think).
If I'm going to have more than two of a type, into a PDS it goes.

Almost every PDS also has and index (if the lrecl allows ISPF EDIT to write to
it).
Sometimes, I create an index and use GENER to put it into an uneditable PDS.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!