Many years ago, we had a 370-138 which had been used for a specific application. When the application was redone on another machine, we tried to sell the machine, but had no takers until someone offered us money (as I recall, about $100 US) and took the machine away. The machine resurfaced next February at the winter carnival, where the man provided a sledgehammer and charged a dollar a swing. I think he made a small profit on the deal. When we converted from 9-track to cartridge drives, we had some 10,000 old tapes to dispose of. No one would buy them, or even accept them as a gift, which was a real problem, since the mayor understandably didn't want city employees to be seen throwing things away.

Dale Miller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]