The reason why some shops (mine, in particular) are still using OS/VS
COBOL and VS COBOL II is that decisions were made according to
expediency and the fact that the mainframe was to be obsolete by the
year 2000.   Ergo, no need to convert.

On January 1, 2009, we, the mainframers, will be celebrating our 10th
year of obsolescence with many more in sight.

If it weren't for CICS & DB2, the conversion to Enterprise COBOL would
have been delayed until LE would not support the old COBOL run time
environments.

Furthermore, the conversion to Enterprise COBOL has been pared back to
only those programs using CICS and/or DB2.