Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: REXX error

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 07:11:12 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak wrote:

No, you do not need rexx in a comment. It depends. TSO will read them from
SYSEXEC and run them without rexx in the comment. z/OS UNIX Services, in
my limited testing, requires rexx to be lower case where any other
environment/platform could care less about the case.

No -- I've tried a couple case variants and they work.  Of course,
the case in the invoking shell command must match the case of the
UNIX path to the EXEC.

However, z/OS UNIX Services requires that the "/* Rexx ..." comment
begin in column 1, unlike TSO and CMS.  If the comment is indented
I get:

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:119$ INDENT
   BPXW0000I Exec not found
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:120$

... the code explanation is in

C.1 "z/OS V1R10.0 Using REXX and z/OS UNIX System Services"

       C.1 BPXW0000I

  BPXW0000I Exec not found

  Explanation: The REXX program could not be found.

  System Action: The REXX program is not run.

  User Response: Check the format of the REXX program  ...

As was pointed out, if you get
an IRX message than TSO already figured out it is rexx and the comment is
unnecessary.

Likewise in this case, it appears that exec() recognized the script
as Rexx, and then called the Rexx interpreter, which somehow rejected
it.

I have found no IBM documentation that requires the comment to begin
in column 1.  Both TSO and CMS accept EXECs with the Rexx comment
indented.  I reported this in a PMR to IBM, who claimed the problem
is impossible to fix.  (I regard this as nonsense;  IBM merely lacks
the determination to make the repair.)

-- gil