I would make a stronger case for *not* putting *anything* but couple data
sets on a designated volume. Even apparently benign files can cause a
problem. For example, your PARMLIB runs out of space and needs to be
compressed. You don't want to run IEBCOPY against that volume.

Even if the PARMLIB is healthy, you surely want a periodic backup of it.
Backing up the entire volume risks holding it long enough for XCF to drop
the couple data set(s) as unusable. Backing up only the PARMLIB may involve
a special process unlike other backup/restore processes. In other words,
more chance of error.

In short, find a safer spot.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Mark Zelden
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             CHNA.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Shared PARMLIB placement

             10/16/2008 08:09
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:15:07 -0500, Chase, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi, All,
>
>Are there any "compelling" reasons to place a shared PARMLIB on a volume
>that holds a sysplex couple dataset?

NO.

>Are there any "compelling" reasons NOT to place it there?

Probably not.  But the recommendation is to not place anything on couple
data
set volumes but the couple data sets (see "MVS Setting Up a Sysplex").

If the access is low and nothing would ever reserve the volume by accessing
the PARMLIB, then it shouldn't be a problem.   But isn't there a better
place (like IODF volume that is also shared)?

>Please expound a little for answers other than "No".

Mark
--
Mark Zelden