On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:17:05 -0400, Scott Ford wrote:

>See this Share paper...
>
> http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_San_Jose/S8343WS150114.pdf

Ah, the dreaded Rexx Stream I/O Function Package; I've read about it.
This is worse than disappointing; it's dismaying.

Conway's Law at it's most pernicious.

There's the above function package, then there's Rexx Stream I/O for
z/OS Unix Rexx, originally a function package; now integrated into
the z/OS base; both from IBM.

The former runs only under TSO/E, and processes only legacy data sets.

The latter runs only under z/OS Unix and processes only z/OS Unix files.

Why can't IBM get their act together and produce a single stream I/O
facility, integrated with the z/OS base, operational under all of
z/OS Unix, TSO/E, and IRXJCL?  And while they're at it, implement the
customary Rexx facility missing from both, SIGNAL ON NOTREADY?

-- gil