On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:57:12 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>Mohammad Khan wrote:
>> And why was it expected to be 63 bit ? Was there an expectation that one
>> bit will be used to distinguish a 63 bit address from 31 / 24 bit addresses ?

No, because there was no prior convention of using a doubleword
to contain a 31-bit address.

>During the early discussions, many people expected ESAME to implement
>63-bit addressing for reasons similar to why XA/370, ESA/370, and
>ESA/390 implemented 31-bit and not 32-bit addressing.

I thought 31-bit was for compatibility with existing exploitation
of the sign bit; but there was no legacy convention of using
the sign bit of shorter addresses stored in a doubleword to
preserve compatibility with.

-- gil