On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:34:49 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>>Yes, but IIRC for DSNTYPE=HFS, DSORG=PO.  ?!?!  Thus the absurd
>>message.
>
>I agree. This sort of thing convinces me that the HFS implementation is
>layered on top of PDS-E support, somehow.

According to the classic notion of DSORG, PDSE doesn't conform to
DSORG=PO: it doesn't begin with a directory of 256-byte data blocks
with member names as keys, etc.  However since PDSE provides good
compatibility with PDS at the API level, the designers did well for
customers by using DSORG=PO and not obsoleting existing code that
tests DSORG and operates accordingly, even though the cost was to
introduce a new attribute, DSNTYPE.

Conversely, HFS has no progrmming compatibility with PDS or PDSE,
better advised to use a new DSORG for HFS, and avoid confusion of
the sort that precipitated this thread.

What are the DSORG and DSNTYPE of a z/FS (aggregate)?

-- gil