..
   I have a couple of z900s that I'm going to be upgrading to z10s.  Now
we're all aware of the restrictions of not being able to Sysplex the
z900s directly to the z10s but I had a question.  Would it be possible
to use a z9 CF only CEC to 'bridge' the Sysplex connection between a z10
and a z900?  This would allow us to do one of the z900s on a single
weekend then the second on the next weekend pulling the z9 CF CEC out
when done.  Doing both z900s in a single weekend, while doable, is not
something I'm looking forward to...

Stanley,
No, it is not possible to have a z800 or z900 coexisting in a parallel
sysplex with a z10.

Note that zSeries 900/800 and prior generation servers are not supported
with System z10 for Coupling Facility or Parallel Sysplex levels.

With the introduction of the z10 EC, we have the concept of n-2 on the
hardware as well as the software.
The z10 EC participates in a Sysplex with System z9, z990 and z890 only
and currently supports z/OS 1.7 and higher.

Hope this helps

Paolo Cacciari
IBM Italia S.p.A.

"WEYMAN, STANLEY J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   I have a couple of z900s that I'm going to be upgrading to z10s.  Now
we're all aware of the restrictions of not being able to Sysplex the
z900s directly to the z10s but I had a question.  Would it be possible
to use a z9 CF only CEC to 'bridge' the Sysplex connection between a z10
and a z900?  This would allow us to do one of the z900s on a single
weekend then the second on the next weekend pulling the z9 CF CEC out
when done.  Doing both z900s in a single weekend, while doable, is not
something I'm looking forward to...

     Regards,

         Stan

-----------------

Stan Weyman

Corporate Information Services

System Administrator III

Amica Mutual Insurance Company

25 Amica Way

Lincoln, RI 02865

voice:   1-800-992-6422  ext. 22679

fax:      1-401-334-2748

email :  [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

web:    www.amica.com <http://www.amica.com/>

P  Please consider the environment before printing this email

IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
Cap. Soc. euro 361.550.000
C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Società con Azionista Unico
Società soggetta all?attività di direzione e coordinamento di
International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)