From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Comparing Mainframe and Windows Server CICS Transactions per kWh

Fred Schmidt wrote:

>The latest z/Journal has a study by Microsoft comparing Windows against
the mainframe in terms of electrical power usage for CICS web-based
applications. It claims that Windows is many times more efficient.

http://www.zjournal.com/redir.cfm?rid=939

>Comments?

There is a catch: They're using NetCobol on a z/OS machine on this Microsoft
sponsored PDF.

What's more, theyre using IBM's published results against a test run on their
Fujitsu machines. They really never used a z/OS machine themselves.

NetCobol belongs to Fujitsu. Fujistu and Microsoft is co-operating together
MMA to lure people from "legacy" z/OS.

I would only take this comparision seriously if they ACTUALLY used IBM's own
COBOL and WebSphere and that they actually used/rented a z/OS machine.

What's more, you can't really use published numbers against actual test
results.

Go figure...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht