On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:57:04 -0600, Brian Westerman wrote:

>Our SyzSpool product spools the data off to sequential files which can be
>compared via ISPF compare, or any of the free compare products.

One of the OP's concerns was avoiding the use of temporary space in
the case of enormous spool files.

I have used SuperC to compare two UNIX files (allocated to DD NEW and
DD OLD).  I'm guessing these could be POSIX pipes.  Will SyzSpool
write to pipes (perhaps allocated to DDNAMES)?  will it do two
concurrently?  (If these run in different process spaces, it shouldn't
care; it should hardly know.)

Authors of utilities shouldn't ignore (much less deliberately thwart)
the excellent facilities offered by z/OS Unix.

-- gil