Tim,
You make some excellent points...

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Timothy Sipples
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2. There's something called the Linux Standard Base (LSB) which would
> provide the common application environment that most people care about when
> they say "Linux." So you could create (and maintain) an LSB for z/OS,
> borrowing copiously from UNIX System Services.

LSB is a nice idea, but currently its implementation is in shambles
IMO.  I can say this because we actually ship an LSB certified
application,
but as you can see currently only a handful of applications that have
signed up:  https://www.linuxfoundation.org/lsb-cert/productdir.php?by_prod

> 3. Alternatively, there are whole distributions of Linux that run as
> applications within a parent operating system -- and which don't use
> virtual machine products to do it. Take a look at Cooperative Linux and
> user-mode Linux (UML) as notable examples. Cooperative Linux looks like a
> good starting point. I believe the Cooperative Linux code is already
> committed to and maintained in the mainline i386 Linux kernel source code.
> So you'd have to enhance Cooperative Linux code such that it could also be
> incorporated into the s390x kernel stream, and so that it would invoke z/OS
> services instead of Microsoft Windows services. That would probably be the
> cleanest approach from a code maintenance point of view.

Very nice idea. UML under z/OS would be cool.

> You might have a little complexity given the fact z/OS (currently; it's an
> architectural decision not limitation) only allows code execution out of
> the first 2 GB of a 64-bit address space. I suspect you would need to tweak
> the s390x kernel so that it's aware of that and shuffles execution down
> into the 2 GB zone, or just use a simple brute force method of limiting the
> z/OS Linux address space to a maximum of 2 GB in an initial effort. (From
> Linux's perspective it would think it's running on a 2 GB machine, or
> less.) I don't think I'd bother with the 31-bit s390 kernel branch at this
> point in history -- I think I'd concentrate on the 64-bit s390x branch
> since that'll get the most attention.
>
> And then eventually you might have something like "BPXLINUX" (analogous to
> BPXBATCH) which allows z/OS to interact with a Linux address space in
> certain fun ways, but that'd be in the future no doubt. Initially it'd just
> be a very isolated instance of Linux relying on z/OS services instead of
> hardware (or virtualized hardware) services for I/O, memory, and CPU.
> (Mapping I/O is most of the effort.)

This is similar to what I proposed, only using Linux virtual machine
guests.  Your idea of using a UML approach seems better.

BTW:  If you want to interact between a z/OS job step and a zLinux
guest over hiper-sockets, you can do it now:

//STEP1   EXEC PROC=COZPROC,
//        ARGS='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
//STDIN   DD *
# This shell script runs on zLinux
fromdsn -l rdw -k //DD:INPUT   \
  | gpg -r key-1 --batch --output=- --encrypt=- \
  | todsn -b //DD:OUTPUT
/*
//INPUT DD DISP=SHR,DSN=KIRK.CLEARTEXT.DATA
//OUTPUT DD DSN=KIRK.ENCRYPT,DISP=(NEW,PASS),
//          SPACE=(CYL,(1,1),RLSE),
//          DCB=(RECFM=U,BLKSIZE=4096)

> Interesting project!
>
> - - - - -
> Timothy Sipples
> IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
> Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S:

A joke once told to me by an old IBMer :
- "programmers" write code
- "architects" talk about writing code
- "methodologists" talk about talking about writing code