On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:29:32 -0800, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>HPs statement seem to contradict IDC's trackers. But, it's possible both
>are correct. HP might be "bottom feeding" in the <$250K marketplace.
>Another possibility is that Sun and other competitors might be in
>wholesale collapse in the >$250K server marketplace, making IBM's
>overall market penetration higher. (The only problem with that theory is
>that IDC trackers also show HP shrinking in that space.) Last, but not
>least, HP could be flat out lying.
>
>We report. You decide...
I think this article was very interesting but all these extra comments made
me think.
I just wonder if IDC or Ferrari was running a market study of the automotive
industry and would conclude that Ferrari has  46 % of the world automotive
industry for cars with an above than 2000 k$ price tag.
Would we conclude that this is a tremendous result for Ferrari in the market
share ?
Or would we conclude that these Ferrari cars are too expensive ?
Or that this kind of study and numbers is just meaningless? ( my favorite)
OK i know there is a big effort from IBM to show that we are not talking
about Ferrari's but about big freight train (z10
annoucements in Paris lately) but the logic of this kind of study is beyond
my own logic.
There is a simple rule in our industry, We use what we can afford to use
according to criteria.(DR,TTR,availability,costs etc..),
The TSM example few posts ago is showing exactly that .
Some ( very few) use it on mainframe some (the majority) use it on Unix.
Why ?
The first ones generally are not night batch intensive and can afford the
run without extra costs.
The second because they are fully busy at night,would increase their
MVS/RACF/etc MLC charges by using TSM at night.
When you have a budget in your hand, the choice is very quickly made
Is (UNIX+ TSM + Hardware P or else + robot +Maintenance) cheaper or more
expensive than (TSM OTC + MLC increase + maintenance +K7 on existing robot)
When you know that, you take a decision and don't give a damn about anything
else.
And please IBM spare me the song about the cost of people, the same person
can run TSM on any platform, he will not even know it  apart from the
cartridge hardware!
my 0.02 cents  ( i had to take these kind of decisions )

Bruno Sugliani
zxnetconsult(at)free(dot)fr
http://zxnetconsult.free.fr