-----Original Message-----
Howard Brazee

> Does IBM want to sell xNix mainframes?

If they sell, yes!

>Or are they orienting differently - to sell powerful database machines,
powerful application servers, powerful web
>servers... ?

Isn't that what a z/OS box is?

>Or would they be happy to be out of the computer hardware business
>altogether?   When PCs became a commodity, they got out of that
>business.   Do they foresee business computer hardware becoming a
>commodity?

PC's were a commodity long before they sold the business.
The question is more of are the (estimated) 10,000 z/OS licenses (equals
how many shops?) worth the continued investment in the 360-z
architecture?  The fact that the z10 was a 'new' platform shows they
are/do consider it worthwhile.  Of course it could just be a step
towards emulating z/Architecture over another instruction set.  I heard
someone make the comment that even the z10 (and possibly earlier) were
RISC with CISC in the milli-micro-etc. code?