Timothy Sipples wrote:
Bill and I have fun (and ultimately academic) debates on this point. :-)

My view: if it's easier to explain to the boss that a specialty engine is
an "accelerator," go right ahead. It's a reasonable way to think about its
impact. If you Google "zAAP" (or "zIIP") and "accelerator" you'll get
plenty of hits.

It is a method to cheat your boss. Usually I have to "un-cheat" management:
He: "Radoslaw, why don't you buy zIIP or zAAP? It will speed-up our production!"
Me: "No sir, it won't".
He: "How is it possible? Do we have DB2? I KNOW WE DO! So, why don't you use DB2 accelerator?"
Me: "No sir, we have DB2, but zIIP won't help us".
He: "What??? Do you want to say they lied? Do IBMers lie? Isn't zIIP for DB2?"
Me: "Well, they didn't lie, BUT..."

It's a little bit easier with JAVA, because it's simpler to explain (or understand) that our JAVA apps run on other platforms.

As a sum up "specialty" is a kind of euphemism. The word doesn't lie, but it suggests untrue features.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.