Referring to:
>Scott Fagen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>donderdag , november 27, 2008 05:57 AM
>.
>From http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/z/cfsizer/ :
>
>"CFSizer uses your input to calculate the number of structure objects the
>structure must contain, based on algorithms provided by the structure owners
>that model their use of the structure. Using these results and structure
>attribute information provided by the structure owners, CFSIZER THEN SUBMITS
>A CALCULATION REQUEST TO A COUPLING FACILITY, USING THE IXLCSP INTERFACE.
>The coupling facility itself calculates the structure size required to
>accommodate the specified input. Structure sizes therefore correspond to the
>CFLEVEL installed on the coupling facility that performs the calculations.
>THE CFLEVEL FOR WHICH THE RECOMMENDATIONS WERE CALCULATED IS DISPLAYED ON
>THE OUTPUT PAGE AND IS NOT SELECTABLE. Structure sizes are displayed in
>units of 1KB, as they would be entered in your CFRM policy." (emphases added)
Hi Scott,
That means you can't "forecast" structure size changes with CFSIZER when
migrating from one level to another when you don't have already a CF at the
new, higher level.
I came across 'CFSizer Alternate Sizing Techniques'
http://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/z/cfsizer/altsize.html
Method_2: The SIZER Utility Program (as-is & unsupported!)
In the accompanying document Dave Surman mentions:
"However, note that in order for the SIZER utility to be useful for this
re-sizing purpose, you must already have provided a CF at the new ?uplevel?
CFLEVEL in your installation, and it must be configured and active in your
sysplex, with connectivity to the system on which the SIZER utility is being
run."
Conclusion: it seems there's no way to estimate future structure sizing
requirements when having no access to a CF of the new/higher CFlevel?!
Seems a bit strange to me.
Is there no ROT when going to CFlvl 16 (as there once used to be one when
migrating to CFlvl 12 if I recall well)?
Jan