>Just to clarify: This discussion began with respect to the data areas
>books, and was intended to be limited to those books. There is no thought
>that I am aware of to change from having the z/OS manuals other than data
>areas in both book and PDF format. So that should allay some of the fear.

No, it doesn't. At this years zConf in Germany (and I am sure at Share, too,
from what Ed Jaffe has posted) IBM is definitely attempting to get rid of .boo
books and force exclusive use of  that information center stuff on us. Stated
not quite as boldly at those conferences, but given as a 'statement of
direction' nonetheless. What's more, not listening to the protests!

I believe that just about everybody who debugs *needs* data areas in .boo
format. You know the control block you want, and you don't want to crawl around
some pdf to get at the right bit position, say in a WQE control block that can
come in several flavours, to boot!

Another book that *should* be in bookmanager format is the principles of
operation that hasn't been provided in that format for a very long time. If
it's too big, make it two books! Almost 15MB is a nuisance, even if you use
foxit instead of the more cumbersome acrobat reader.

>Is the .boo format found in the CDs any different from either the "WEB" or the
>"TSO" format?
Not sure, but I don't think so. For Fault analyzer, we get the user guide in
boo format distributed in one of the libraries on MVS. the instruction is to
download this (if needed) to a pc as .boo. This to me implies that the format
is the same.

>I wonder if an open-source .BOO reader has merit. As well as perhaps an
>open-source writer.
I like that idea. But are you sure that IBM will disclose the .boo format? As
far as I know, it is proprietary!

Regards, Barbara Nitz
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger