On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:23:08 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>So no ISVs?  Or they code at the MI level.

Sorry. There are ISVs. But only for application level code, not "system"
level. IBM supplies compilers for COBOL, RPG, CL (similar to CLIST), C/C++,
Java, and maybe other languages. But you cannot create a compiler because
the interface to create an MI level program does not exist (no assembler).
You could write a interpreter in C/C++, I guess. But that would slow down
the language.

>But I could draw a parallel to z:
>
>    SLIC == microcode, millicode

Right. Remember all the "microcode assists" for the various OSes on various
models of the S/370? The AS/400 is like that, but even more so. A great deal
of the OS (including the database) is embedded in the SLIC.

>    MI   == assembler for z.

Right. Except no HLASM-like language and so no way to program in assembler
(at the MI level).

<snip>