From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ed Long
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Light Weight Printing from Development z/OS 1.8 to HP Laser
Jets

Hi all and Happy New Year.

I'd like to setup a facility whereby I can print directly from JES2 to
an HP Laser Jet type printer without dedicating a printer, buying a
printer, or spending time I don't have in INFOPRINT jail. What do you do
for z/OS printing in a development context?

The requirement is to be able to print small listings locally and
conveniently. The difference between today, where we FTP the listing to
a PC and print, and tomorrow, is that I want the carriage control
characters to be honored. I define small as less than 5000 lines per
report and maybe 5 reports per day.

I've spent several lovely hours cruising the INFOPRINT website and
getting reacquainted with PSF, AFP, and their cousins. Most of this
technology qualifies as gross overkill for my needs. I did not see
anything directly on point that could be considered lightweight.

Is there an easy way to tell Jes2 about a TCPIP connected printer and to
have the printer respond to basic CC commands? No fancy forms or checks
to be printed, just short reports.

Thanks for your ideas, comments, and grand one liners.
Edward Long