On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:34:41 +0100, Miklos Szigetvari
<miklos.szigetv...@isis-papyrus.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>We have a number of user ZFS datasets,  in NON EXTENDED format , and
>already has reached the 4Gbyte limit
>Till now we have allocated a new extended format ZFS and copied into it
>via USS copytree.

I would use PAX instead ... probably quicker.

I've used this rexx program to do copies from one file system
to another in batch, but you certainly can do it interactively with
the commands or running the rexx program in a shell.

/* rexx */
/*=================================*/
  fromdir = '/from_dir/'
  todir   = '/service/'
/*=================================*/
  call syscalls 'ON'
  address syscall 'geteuid'
  uidval = retval
  say 'Current UID = 'uidval
  if uidval <> 0 then do
    say 'Attempting to set to UID=0'
    address syscall 'setreuid 0 0'
    uidval2 = retval
    if uidval2 <> 0 then do
      say 'Unable to set to UID=0'
      exit 12
    end
    Else say 'New UID = 'uidval2
  end
  address syscall 'chdir' fromdir
  say 'Copying files from' fromdir 'to' todir
  call bpxwunix 'pax -rwvCMX -p eW . ' todir

>Can the REPRO do the same ?

I wouldn't.  Search the archives.  I have repro'd a zfs to a new zfs
and was able to mount and see the data, but someone else tried
it (to go to extended) and it didn't work.  Also remember a zfs is
a formatted data set.

>Can I restore a NON extended into an extended ?

No.  There is no "DATACLAS" to assign / convert to on logical
restore.  Also this from the DFSMSdss Storage Admin Reference:

When performing a logical or physical data set restore operation of a VSAM
extended-format data set, the target data set allocation must be
    consistent with the source data set allocation as follows:

-   If the source is an extended-format VSAM, then the target must be an
extended-format VSAM.

    -   If the source is a compressed VSAM KSDS, then the target must be a
compressed VSAM KSDS.

    -   If the source is an alternate index for an extended-format KSDS,
then the target must be an alternate index for an extended-format KSDS.

    -   The target control interval size must be equal to the source.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com