On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:14:32 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>we flashcopy volumes for clone subsytem purposes, and PPRC for D/R
purposes - but our storage folks tell us that it is difficult to PPRC
>flashcopy *target* volumes
>
>That is not the design.
>
>You PPRC then you FlashCopy.
>Not, the other way around.
>FlashCopy Target Volumes are off-line.

Why ? Design of whom ?
Some shops are doing exactly what they do in order not to copy disks that
are being updated during the copy.
For example :
They are in PPRC mode.
Db2 log suspend
suspend the PPRC pair
db2 log resume  ( your application was stopped few seconds )
clip the secondary disks
put them online
Copy these now they are online (and why not with flashcopy)
Clip back the volumes to original volser names
then resynch your PPRC
So i guess they are perhaps using flashcopy during the copy/backup period
This way the pprc pairs do not stay desynchronised very long
Each shop has its own method depending their type of operation or more
likely their budget.

Bruno Sugliani
zxnetconsult(at)free(dot)fr
http://zxnetconsult.free.fr