Well, having not gotten a straight answer to a straight question, I did a quick
test.

I had a GDG:
   uid.GDGTEST.G0001V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0002V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0003V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0004V00

I then allocated
   uid.GDGTEST.G0005V03

And I ended up with
   uid.GDGTEST.G0001V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0002V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0003V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0004V00
   uid.GDGTEST.G0005V03

Which shows that you do not have to go through V00, V01 and V02 before getting
to V03.

However, I did get some other results that I found surprising.  I was able to
allocate
   uid.GDGTEST.G0002V05
   uid.GDGTEST.G0002V06
   uid.GDGTEST.G0002V01
   uid.GDGTEST.G0003V01
which ended up cataloged but not as part of the GDG.

GDGALL processing correctly allocates me
   uid.TESTGDG.G0005V03
   uid.TESTGDG.G0004V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0003V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0002V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0001V00

Yet a DSLIST lists me
   uid.TESTGDG.G0001V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0002V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0002V01
   uid.TESTGDG.G0002V05
   uid.TESTGDG.G0002V06
   uid.TESTGDG.G0003V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0003V01
   uid.TESTGDG.G0004V00
   uid.TESTGDG.G0005V03

I didn't think that I would be able to catalog non-GDG datasets with the same
prefix as the GDG base.

Have I missed something?