that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main as well.

joa...@swbell.net (John McKown) writes:
> Single word: greed. On the part of management and the investors. To the
> nether world with the future, give me an immediate payoff. That explains
> most of the current US economic meltdown as well. IMO, of course.

recent article ...

Corporate Fraud and Misconduct Risks Driven by Pressure to do
'Whatever It Takes'; Fewer episodes reported by companies with ethics
and compliance programs
http://www.financetech.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212501185

from above:

Of more than 5,000 U.S. workers polled this summer, 74 percent said
they had personally observed misconduct within their organizations
during the prior 12 months, unchanged from the level reported by KPMG
survey respondents in 2005. Roughly half (46 percent) of respondents
reported that what they observed "could cause a significant loss of
public trust if discovered," a figure that rises to 60 percent among
employees working in the banking and finance industry.

... snip ...

misc. past posts mentioning the above article:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#27 Garbage in, garbage out trampled by
Moore's law
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#29 Let IT run the company!
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#30 How reliable are the credit rating
companies? Who is over seeing them?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#35 Is American capitalism and greed to
blame for our financial troubles in the US?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#36 What is the top security threat
prediction of 2009?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#47 Executive pay: time for a trim?

then this article from last spring that estimated 1000 executives are
responsible for 80% of the current crisis and that it would go a long
way towards fixing the situation if the gov. could figure out how they
loose their jobs.
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1933

misc. past posts mentioning the above article:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#32 independent appraisers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#36 Lehman sees banks, others writing
down $400 bln
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#44 Fixing finance
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#52 IBM CEO's remuneration last year ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#66 independent appraisers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#89 Credit Crisis Timeline
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#4 A Merit based system of reward -Does
anybody (or any executive) really want to be judged on merit?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#67 Do you have other examples of how
people evade taking resp. for risk
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#73 CROOKS and NANNIES: what would Boyd do?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#77 CROOKS and NANNIES: what would Boyd do?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#79 The Credit Crunch: Why it happened?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#85 Banks' Demise: Why have the
Governments hired the foxes to mend the chicken runs?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009b.html#1 Are Both The U.S. & UK on the brink of
debt disaster?

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar70