Ted,

It's not just the cost. The overall "usability" of the SAS workplace in a
GUI is IMO streets ahead of the 3270 CUA equivalent.

If SAS is running with very little user interaction then the platform is
probably irrelevant in many cases. The platform that gives the best TCO
would be the right choice, and that's where z/OS plays well. However, where
there is a lot of interaction and unstructured access, such as Business
Intelligence, I feel that the SAS Workplace offered on other platforms is
far more productive than the z/OS platform.

Windows is not the only platform. There are probably some instances where
server licenses on Solaris, HP-UX, or even Windows 2008 would make more
sense, and give a better TCO than mega-multiple Windows licenses.

Ron

Behalf Of