On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:08:40 -0600, Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net> wrote:

>If I remember correctly, you also need ALTER access to the DSNAMES involved.

That's a good thought, Rick, but not relevant in this case, I believe.  The
OP has stated that the same user can perform the DEFINE ALIAS via IDCAMS but
can not do it via the DEFINE command under TSO.  So, whatever security he
needs, he apparently has it or it would not work under IDCAMS.

That leaves lack of APF authority as the prime suspect, I think, and the OP
still needs to verify (as previously suggested) that he has DEFINE in
IKJTSOxx under AUTHCMD.  Unfortunately, he seems to have looked for RDEFINE,
not DEFINE.

--
  Walt Farrell, CISSP
  IBM STSM, z/OS Security Design