We have a test sysplex with completely separate DASD from our production
plex, but its DASD is online to the prod plex for our convenience in copying
stuff over to it (we're willing to take our chances with the lack of
serialization;
also, no prod packs are ever online to test!).  The test plex has its own GRS
and SMS setups, and a lot of datasets over there are named the same as in
the prod plex.  Until a short time ago, I was able to go into option 3.4 on a
test plex volume and edit datasets, or copy members from identically named
datasets by specifying volser.  We recently upgraded to z/OS 1.9, and now I
can't do that any more.  If I try to edit an SMS-managed test plex dataset by
using the volser, it tells me "Duplicate data set name" if that dataset name is
cataloged on the prod plex.  This seems excessively restrictive, and is
extremely inconvenient to us.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a
workaround?

Thanks,
Cathy Taddei