On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:58:06 -0600, Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:36:58 -0600, John McKown <joa...@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>I highly doubt you'll get a definitive answer because there any many PTFs
>across different FMIDs.   And it depends on what you mean by "running".
>Will it IPL?  Will it perform the correct way?  etc.

Will it run and give correct answers. I.e. it IPLs and runs our workload the
way it runs on the z9 at home.

>Since so many of the PTFs involve HIPERDISPATCH, which can't be
>enabled on z/VM AFAIK (yet?), my best guess is you would be okay
>for your DR.

Good.

>However, since DR is (or should be) critical to your business, if it were
>me, I'd be making plans to install all the maintenance if I knew I could
>be running on a z10 at DR.

The problem is the time frame. This just popped up and blind sided me.
Putting on maintenance around here is a royal PITA due to the change control
process.

>If you don't want to install all the maintenance (use SMP/E 3.5 FIXCAT,
>or PSP tool to identify),  then you could go over all the PTFs in the PSP
>buckets one at a time and take your best guess as to what you think
>the impact might be if you didn't have the PTF applied knowing that
>you are running under VM and won't be using HIPERDISPATCH, creating
>new IODFs (well... not creating one that needs to be hardware activated),
>zHPF, InfiniBand Coupling, etc.

Hum, guess I need to install SMP/E 3.5 first.

>Mark
>--
>Mark Zelden

Many thanks.