>>And when somebody would specify large buffers, then the compiler would

>>cause a large paging spike due to initializing a couple of
>>meg(?) of storage to x'00'.
>
>With today's memory-rich environment, is this still an issue?

IHMO, it should never be necessary to initialize neither large
buffers nor large arrays. It is not really complex logic that is
needed to keep track to what extent the area has been filled with
data. You only need to initialize a pointer or counter or both.
Won't heat up paging.

Note that do not say initializaion is not needed, it of course is.
I only say you don't need to initialize large areas which you
possibly even don't fully use.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse