>I have six lpars with four data sharing groups crossing the lpars, and having
>DB2 in linklist won't work.

I've worked with up to 19 LPARs.

>The migration to a new release, if in linklist only, would affect six lpars
>and four datasharing groups at once.

You weren't talking about migration to a new release, as far as I can tell.
I was talking about day to day operations.

>Given short migration windows, and the change in the DB2 catalog to unicode
>between R710 and R810, I cannot migrate four production platforms in the
>window, not to mention management would not accept a risk of that magnitude.

Yes. Migration is a different issue.
But, how often do you migrate?
Once you've completed that, why not leave the current version in the LNKLST.

DB2 is designed for performance optimisation.
Leaving STEP/JOB LIBs around (even if they're in LLA) is not necessarily a good
thing.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!