BAL was  pretty much obsolete when IPM came into existance. Unless of course
your code had to run on an old box. I have not come across an instance yet
when I needed BAL, and often use OPSYN to map BAL/R to BAS/R.
If I REALLY need BAL/R, I'll code a  DC X'45' or DC X'05' and add a comment
saying I really, really need BAL/R here...

I would also opt for the immiediate-type instructions instead of referencing
separate storage locations...

i.e. LHI R5,L'BUFFER
or LHI R6,-2

They're faster because they don't require additional memory fetches...  and
they're "nicer" because if you look at a dump or object code, you can see
the operand right in the instruction. In many cases their use eliminates
literals.

I favor the branch-relative instructions (Jxxx mnemonics) where possible to
reduce base register needs (sometimes) and, I suppose they're faster because
they simply add the displacement to the currect PSW without all that adding,
checking if index or base reg are zero etc.

Don